Skip to main content

Bonsai Trees and Buddhist Non-attachment

The Japanese art of Bonsai originated from the Chinese practice of Penjing.  Starting in the 6th century, Buddhist monks journeyed to China, and during the cultural exchange that took place they learned about container plantings.  

Over time Japanese Buddhist aesthetics blended with the use of container plants in daily life to create Bonsai, which focuses on creating an idealized, miniature tree in an indoor setting.  This is done through the use of cultivation techniques like pruning, leaf trimming, defoliation, etc.

My first introduction to Bonsai came through the Kwan Um School of Zen.  JDPSN Linc Rhodes grew Bonsai trees when I practiced at the Indianapolis Zen Center.  I always admired them, but I never thought that I'd grow one myself.

That changed, however, when I realized that Enso, my cat, was hell-bent on ripping Sifu, my money tree, into tiny pieces.  I thought I solved the problem by taking my tree to work, and placing him on my desk, but that presented another issue.

Money trees can grow up to 10 feet tall if they're properly cared for.  


And there's no way HR was going to approve a 10 foot tall tree towering over my work station.  So, if Sifu was going to survive, he needed to remain small.  Enter Bonsai.

I use poles and cords to shape the tree branches, scissors to trim the leaves, and my inner wisdom to decide exactly what's needed in each moment.  If too many leaves are cut away, Sifu will look sickly.  If his branches are pulled in the wrong direction, he'll look unnatural.  

The problem is complicated by the fact that technically Sifu isn't one tree.  Rather, he's 5 trees that were planted together in 1 pot.  This is a common practice with money trees as the number 5 is considered lucky in Chinese culture.  

Eventually, the various trees will merge into a single trunk, but until that happens they'll compete with each other for sunlight.  If left to their own devices they'd eventually crowd each other out, and most of them would die.

So, pruning must be done regularly, and firm direction must be given.  That's what Bonsai requires, that's what life demands.  In order for Sifu to live, he must give up his attachments time and time again.

Human life works in the exact same way.


We do what we want, when we want, how we want under the false pretense that we can enjoy freedom without enduring consequences.  This is folly.

Like a Bonsai tree, we suffer if we grow in every direction; chase after every delight.  Instead, we must work to grow only in the right directions. and prune ourselves of every attachment that causes harm.

This is the purpose of Buddhist ethical training.   The precepts are scissors that cut harmful actions from our lives.  The 8-fold path is wire and rope that straightens our branches; helping us move towards the light.

Like a skilled Bonsai master, Buddhism will strip us of everything that hinders our spiritual growth.  But it can only do that if we're willing to let go.  We must be willing to lose some leaves, trim some branches, and experience a bit of pain in order to reach our full potential.

So, this practice is not for the faint of heart.  It takes strength to practice non-attachment.  It takes courage to prune our spiritual selves.  But if we can find it within us to obey the precepts, and walk the 8-fold path, then we'll be rewarded with a deep and abiding peace.




Get my new book, Perfectly Ordinary: Buddhist Teachings for Everyday Life

Click here to read a free sample chapter of the book

Visit my YouTube channel to hear Dharma Talks!

If you'd like to support my work, please consider making a donation.

Bonsai Trees and Buddhist Non-attachment

Comments