Skip to main content

Immigration and Buddhism for People of Color

I love my country.  I love it in a way that only men and women who've served in the military can understand.  I fought in two wars for the United States of America.  

I missed weddings, funerals, and the chance to take part in my college graduation ceremony because my country called, and I answered.

Of course, none of that makes me special.  There are men and women who sacrificed much more than I did in the service of this country.  I say all of this only to make the point that I really and truly love The United States of America.

That being said, our relationship is far from perfect.


It's the type of relationship you have with an uncle who always ruins Thanksgiving, but he gives you spending money every time you see him.  

It's the type of relationship you have with a college friend who helps you fix your car on the weekends, but he hits on your girlfriend when he's drunk.  

It's the type of relationship you have with a parent who keeps a roof of your head and food in your stomach, but they never say, "I love you."

If my relationship with America was on Facebook, our status would be, "It's complicated".  And I think that's true for most people of color in this country.  That's why it's been interesting to watch what's happening at the border.

I'm horrified by how the immigrants are being treated, but I'm not surprised.  How could I be surprised in light of the following facts:

  • Native Americans were forced to send their kids to government-run boarding schools right up until the 1970's
  • My nephew can't play with toy guns because of what happened to Tamir Rice

I could keep going, but you get the point.  People of color have always had a strange relationship with America.

This is the greatest country on earth.  But it has a lot of work to do.  


That's where Buddhism comes into the picture; at least for me.  I know what America can become,  but I'm also aware of the suffering it causes.  And Buddhism is all about dealing with suffering.

Specifically, Buddhism is about learning to practice acceptance in the face of suffering.  It's about seeing the world exactly as it is, and learning to be okay with all of the filth that covers it; even as we grab a broom to try and tidy things up.

My practice helps me do that, by keeping me centered and focused on the task at hand.  Meditation allows all of the hurt and disappointment to fall away for a little while so I can do what needs to be done.  And the precepts keep my ego in check when I'm tempted to act unskillfully.

This allows me to do activist work from a place of peace, not anger.  It helps me see the good in America, even when I'm dealing with the bad.  And it strengthens my faith that things will be better tomorrow, even if they don't look so good today.

Buddhism helps me love my country; even when it doesn't love me back.



If you enjoyed this article, please like The Same Old Zen on Facebook

You can also connect with me on Twitter

Upcoming Events:

I will be attending an Interfaith Vigil at the Cleveland ICE Field Office to pray for those being detained and deported.  The event will be held Tuesday, June 26th at 6 pm.  Click here for more information.

I will be leading a Meditation Flash Mob on Sunday, June 30th in downtown Cleveland, OH.  It will be held at 4:30 pm in Willard Park (corner of East 9th and Lakeside Ave.)  Click here for more information.

Immigration and Buddhism for People of Color

Comments

  1. I didn't know USA had any wars just invasions for banker profits. This patriotism is a blind attachment that can only lead to violence.It is the order followers that are the bane of society as anyone with any kind of logic would not bomb women and children in countries they have no right to be and for no reason other than some here say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are doing activist work, that you are doing it from a place other than anger, and most of all that you are able to love that which doesn't love you back with a wise heart. That said, I think it's valuable to add that, while they are central qualities of the Buddha's teachings, it is simplistic to reduce Buddhism to equanimity and acceptance in the face of dukkha. It is quite clear throughout the suttas that Buddha endorsed striving and efforts related to cultivation:

    "And how is exertion fruitful, bhikkhus, how is striving fruitful? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu is not overwhelmed by suffering and does not overwhelm herself with suffering; and she does not give up the pleasure that accords with Dhamma, yet she is not infatuated with that pleasure. She knows thus: 'When I strive with determination, this particular source of suffering fades away in me because of that determined striving; and when I look on with equanimity, this particular source of suffering fades away in me while I develop equanimity.' She strives with determination...she develops equanimity..." -MN 101

    "And what bhikkhus is right effort? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu generates the desire for the nonarising of unarisen evil unwholesome states; he makes an effort, arouses energy, applies his mind, and strives. He generates desire for the abandoning of arisen evil unwholesome staes...He generates a desire for the arising of unarisen wholesome states...He generates desire for the maintenance of arisen wholesome states, for their nondecay, increase, expansion and fulfillment by development..." -SN V.45.8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And it feels to me like we mythologize historical movements by remembering one central figure who represents this sort of idealized equanimity in the face of suffering (Mohandas Gandhi, MLK Jr, Nelson Mandela). But the real story is always more complex and change would not have happened without other figures who don't always meet this ideal (Bose, Malcolm X, Winnie).

      Delete
  3. It's a very good piece this time, Alex. But you can cut out the sentimentalism about "Loving my country" (as supposed to other parts of the world) especially in view of the war crimes committed on a daily basis by "Your country", mostly purely for financial gain of a few profiteers. Sentimentalism isn't Zen but an a symptom of an attachment that needs to be worked on, as you realise. Thanks anyway brother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment