Skip to main content

The Fifth Precept: Do Drugs and Meditation Mix?

I was a raver in my early 20's.  My friends and I spent our weekends going to semi-legal parties in campgrounds, warehouses, and abandoned factories in order to dance the night away and listen to EDM music

It was stupid, expensive, and extremely dangerous, but I'd be lying if I said that some of the best times of my life didn't happen at raves.  I was a weird, socially-awkward kid who was surrounded by other weird, socially awkward kids, and we all just wanted to feel loved and have a good time.  

But there was a dark side to all of that care-free partying.  Drug culture was a very big part of the rave scene.  In fact, many people went to parties with the sole intent of getting high in what they considered a safe place.  As a result, it wasn't uncommon for promoters to have designated "chill" rooms where the lights were kept low, glow sticks were banned, and people were able to come down off their highs in peace. 

Other precautions were also taken.  Some people sucked on pacifiers the whole night because they were on ecstasy, and they needed something to keep from grinding their teeth.  Others, tied themselves to sober friends with leashes because they were on acid (LSD), and they needed to be kept from wandering off by themselves. 

That being said, the precautions didn't always work.  I once watched someone tear a hotel lobby apart because he needed a phone to call his mom.  People were standing around offering him cell phones, but it was like he couldn't see them.  We found out later that he'd dropped acid earlier in the night, and he was having a bad trip.  Eventually, the cops showed up, and dragged him away.  I'll never forget the look of confusion on his face.

Later that same year, I watched a close friend overdose on bath salts.  One minute she was bouncing off the walls, the next minute she was on the floor screaming and clutching her chest.  That was the breaking point for me.  I loved dancing, and I loved EDM, but I was done watching friends almost die/ get arrested because of drug use.  I went home that night, threw away my glow sticks, and stopped going to raves.

So what does any of this have to do with Buddhism?  Well, it's become a semi-regular occurrence that when people find out I'm a meditator, they suggest drug use as a way to enhance my practice.  It's a lot like when dealers used to tell me Dubstep sounds better when you're high.  It's not an every day occurrence, but it happens often enough that I've decided to write about it.

Case in point, I was discussing meditation with someone last week, and he told me that magic mushrooms are a short-cut to enlightenment.  He shared fascinating stories about seeing colors more clearly, and feeling like he was floating through space.  Then he asked if I wanted to try it out for myself.  I politely declined.

To be frank, I don't think recreational drugs have a place in serious Buddhist practice.  I hold this position for three reasons:

     1)  My interpretation of the fifth precept

     2)  My past experiences with recreational drugs

     3)  There are no shortcuts to enlightenment

First, the fifth precept states, "I vow to not abuse intoxicants."  In other words, we must use common sense when it comes to these substances.  And my common sense tells me that if I'm serious about studying my mind, I can't muddy the waters with mind-altering drugs.  That would be like throwing dirt in my eyes because I want to see the stars.

Second, Buddhism is an experiential practice.  We examine the karma of our previous actions, and we use what we learn to make better choices in the future.  When I was a raver, my experiences with recreational drugs were terrible.  And I don't want to go down that road again.

Third, there are no short-cuts to enlightenment.  Buddhism is a life-long practice that helps you wake up over a period of weeks, months, and years.  I've had some scary thoughts come out of my head during meditation. But because they came up gradually, over a long period of time, I was able to work through them.  And I came out stronger on the other side.

I could keep going, but I think I've made my point.  Drugs didn't make the rave scene better, and I have no reason to believe that they're useful for meditation.  If others want to walk a different path, that's fine.  But please don't ask me to join you.


If you enjoyed this article, please like The Same Old Zen on Facebook!




     



Comments

  1. Another great post. Thank you, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some drug's could "enhance" some meditation's but you need to know your own mind thoughtfully and know exactly what the drugs effects are going to be but by knowing both you are already past the stage of needing any chemical enhancements and with any drug you don't know exactly how it will effect you so the short answer is a Big No!it's not worth it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read douglas osto, altered states: Buddhism and psychedelic spirituality in America (Columbia university press, 2016).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment