Skip to main content

A Buddhist Response to the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

A Buddhist Response to the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
Most people don't think of Buddhism as a faith-based religion.  In fact, practitioners are encouraged to take a "try it and see" approach to their training. 

For example, a Buddhist teacher might say that everything in the world is constantly changing (i.e. impermanent), and we should practice non attachment.  

In that case, students would be expected to try and disprove this statement by finding something that is permanent (i.e. eternal and unchanging) that they can hold onto.  If such a thing can't be found, that suggests that the teacher is correct, and non-attachment is a practice that should be followed.

This "try it and see" approach works for about 99% of Buddhist practice.  But there are parts of the training that aren't so easy to parse through the use of empirical data.  For example the teaching of basic goodness states that all sentient beings are manifestations of the Dharmakaya, that all humans have the seed of enlightenment, and that we're all basically good.

Of course, we can't see the Dharmakaya or basic goodness.  So, students are expected to take it on faith that the Dharmakaya exists, that basic goodness exists, and that they should act accordingly. 

Of course, Buddhists aren't stupid.  We watch the news, and we know that people do terrible things to each other every day.  But in his wisdom, Buddha accounts for this.  He teaches that we're all infected with the poisons of greed, anger, and ignorance, and that these poisons cause us to create suffering for ourselves and others.

So, the purpose of Buddhist practice is to rid ourselves of greed, anger, and ignorance so that our basic goodness can be manifested in daily life.


This all makes a certain amount of sense, so I've lived my life by these axioms for the past 6 years.  I've taught them to students, and I've kept the faith that despite our many missteps humanity has goodness at its core.  But that doesn't mean that my faith has never been shaken.

There have been many nights where I wondered if I was being naive, foolish, and willfully ignorant of the darkness that lies in the hearts of men.  In fact, one of those nights happened on 10/27/2018 when I learned about the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting.

According to news reports, a man allegedly walked into the Tree of Life synagogue with a gun; killing 11 people and wounding 6.

I can't imagine what that must have been like for the victims.  I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be communing with God in one moment, and then be looking into the eyes of abject evil in the next.  But the more I thought about it, the more I lost my faith.

I lost my faith in Buddha, I lost my faith in humanity, and I lost my faith in the teaching of basic goodness.


But in my darkest hour something began to shift.  As I continued to track the story I learned about humanity's response to this tragedy.  I learned about Celebrate Mercy and MPower Change; Muslim groups who have raised more than $75,000 to help the victims.

I learned about the 4 police officers who were injured because they ran TOWARDS the gunfire in order to stop the loss of life.  And I learned about the hundreds of people who've taken part in vigils all over the country to show support for Tree of Life Synagogue.

As I expanded my view, I saw that the shooter was one tiny dot of evil, surrounded by a sea of goodwill. I saw the compassion, kindness, and empathy that Buddha said was at the heart of human existence.  And my faith was restored.

No, I can't see humanity's basic goodness.  I can't touch it or hold in my hands like I hold my mala beads.  But I can see it manifesting in every moment as people of different races, religions, and political beliefs move to support the victims of this crime.

The shooter hoped to sow fear and division through his actions.  Instead, he helped to reveal our better natures.  He showed that so long as evil exists in this world our basic goodness will always rise to meet it.


Upcoming Events:

Commemoration of the Martyrs:  On Sunday, November 4th at 4pm the Interreligious Task Force on Central America will be hosting a banquet to honor the 38th anniversary of 4 women who were murdered while doing human rights work in El Salvador.

I'll be partnering with other faith leaders to do the prayer service, which takes place at 5pm.  The event will be held at Beaumont School 3301 N Park Blvd. Cleveland Hts., OH 44118.  For more event information, or to purchase a ticket, click here.


Check out my YouTube Channel!

A Buddhist Response to the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

Comments

  1. Thank you so much. Your post helps renew my faith as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not to bring you down at all, but just to share another perspective, from a friend who is Black and Jewish:
    https://crankylibrarian.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/betrayal/

    Thank you Alex, for your presence in this world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment